If I Were 21 - Irene Dunne and Jimmy Stewart - Daily Vintage Flashback

In today's daily vintage flashback, Ladies Home Journal from 1947 featured an article with a number of notable stars and socialites in which they ask them what they would do if they were 21 again. I'm sharing just two, Irene Dunne and Jimmy Stewart. They both had a number of movies I loved. Irene was so beautiful and such a great actress. I loved her in her films with Cary Grant. She was a well rounded actress able to perform both in dramas and comedies flawlessly. My favorite drama would be, "I Remember Mama". If you've never seen it, it's completely worth hunting it down and buying a copy.

Jimmy Stewart was equally talented and quite good at both drama and comedy as well. Of course everyone knows, "It's a Wonderful Life", which has a mixture of serious and comical moments. Another film of his that's lesser know but by a similar title is, "It's a Wonderful World", co-staring Claudette Colbert. It's a terrific little comedy, crime, mystery, and filmed in 1939. You can find it on Amazon to rent or buy.

I think it's interesting to read what they would do if they were 21 again. I agree with Irene, taking advice is important and with Jimmy that I would pursue my secondary education and interests aggressively. I would also spend more time with my grandparents. You don't always understand when your young how little time you have with the people you love.

How about you? What would you do if you were 21?  I think it's funny they both agree that it's good to marry young. I hope you enjoy today's vintage flashback!

What is your favorite Irene Dunne or Jimmy Stewart movie? Leave a comment below.


Here's what Irene Dunne says just in case you have trouble reading the image. "I'd try to accept advice intended for me. I'd marry young and I'd have several children. I'd aim high; mere security is too poor a bargain to strike with life."

 


Here's what Jimmy Stewart says just in case you have trouble reading the image. Jimmy Stewart who went from architecture in Princeton to Hollywood, says, "I wish I'd stayed in college longer and studied a great deal more." Advice to youth -- marry young.


Comments

Popular Posts