Ann Sheridan Pin-Up Girl August 1943

Today I'm doing two vintage flashback posts. The first is Pin-up Ann Sheridan from August 1943. Ann was always one of my favorite female stars. Off the top of my head, "I Was A Male War Bride", comes to mind, a comedy she stared in with Cary Grant, another favorite. If you google it you can probably find it on Amazon or maybe even YouTube. If you haven't seen it, and you enjoy classic comedies, I recommend it.

According to this clipping from Movies and Radio Guide, Ann was a favorite for the fighting men of "Little Norway", Canada. They were a group of Norwegians who refused to submit to the Germans in WWII. They had the biggest pin-up ever made, as of August 1943, measuring eight by ten foot and displaying the beautiful Ann Sheridan for all to enjoy.

If you are on a PC : To view the image full size and zoom in to read the article, simply "right click" on the image and select "view image" from the menu. Then press the CTRL key and the + button to zoom in. Enjoy! More Ann info below the image -- scroll down.



A little about Ann Sheridan:  She was born Clara Lou Sheridan February 21, 1915 in Denton, Texas. Her Hollywood nickname was The Oomph Girl, a name she hated. Ann won a beauty contest and screen test with Paramount and started her Hollywood career at just eighteen. She was married three times and had no children.

While at Paramount, Ann was used as a body double for legs, shoulders and hands. She was the inspiration for Oomphies house slippers.  Ann was named Max Factor's Girl of the Year in 1939 (I love Max Factor, it was the best! So sad they don't sell anymore here in the US) and in 1952 she was among the eight best dressed women of America chosen by Fashion Academy of New York.

Ann passed away a month shy of her 52nd birthday from esophageal cancer January 21, 1967.  Learn more about Ann at IMDB

Personal Quotes: (I'm listing two because I like Ann and think she was a riot)

I can whistle through my fingers, bulldog a steer, light a fire with two sticks, shoot a pistol with fair accuracy, set type, and teach school....

They nicknamed me The Oomph Girl, and I loathe that nickname! Just being known by a nickname indicates that you're not thought of as a true actress... It's just crap! If you call an actress by her looks or a reaction, then that's all she will ever be thought of as.

Comments

Popular Posts