Grammy's Green Tomato Refrigerator Pickles

I found myself with fifteen green tomatoes and I needed to decide what to do with them. I could do fried green tomatoes but not that many! And honestly I wasn't in the mood. So, I decided to make up a large batch of good old fashioned refrigerator pickled green tomatoes with onions. My Grammy used to make a small bowl at a time to serve as a side at dinner. My father said she made hers with thin slices of cucumbers as well.

Grammy always had a good size garden and plenty of veggies for treats like this as well as her famous garlic dill pickles....mmmm so good and no one's been able to recreate them exactly like her, though close. I think gardening, six kids and numerous grand kids kept her healthy even in her old age. She was always busy and always had plenty of good food to eat. You couldn't visit her without her trying to feed you something 😄

Grammy with four of her kids.

So how to make these super easy pickles — it's easy as 1, 2, 3.

Mix the brine:
1 cup vinegar (use 2/3 cup for less sour - I use Apple Cider w/mother but she used white)
2 tablespoons of salt (I used pink Himalayan for minerals)
3 cups water

Mix your brine and set aside. Wash and cut 7 to 8 tomatoes into wedges. I had a mix of small to medium sized. Slice a large onion into thin rings. Mix with the tomatoes. Place in a 1/2 gallon or 2 Qt mason jar and top with brine. Add a little more water if needed to just cover the veggies. Place a lid on the jar and refrigerate for 24 hours. Add to salads, sandwiches, or enjoy on it's own! Should keep in refrigerator for 2 months. Note: Pickles will become more sour the longer they set. If they become to sour for your liking before you can finish them, simply add a little sugar.

MUST be refrigerated, these are NOT shelf stable pickles.

I doubled the batch because I had 15 tomatoes to use. Below are the pictures to show how simple it is!

UPDATE:  I think cutting the tomatoes into thinner wedges or slicing would be better. Otherwise, they are not quite as pickled as I would like them after 24 hours. The onions are perfect! The tomatoes that were slightly turning pink inside were pickled fine but the others need to go longer. Just my opinion but the brine is perfect. Yum!!!! I plan to save the brine and pickle more onions and maybe cucumbers with what is left. It's good for up to 2 months so why waste it.

1. Wash tomatoes

2. Cut tomatoes into wedges

3. Slice onions into thin rings.

4. Mix with tomatoes

5. Place mix in jar


6. Top with brine, cap and refrigerate for 24 hours.

Comments

Popular Posts